To quote Kathy Krause, THE cancer got it's eviction notice today, to start packing! I do have to admit, I was equally excited to get started with my chemo today and somewhat scared. More excited than scared. My oncologist, Dr. Barfe met with me to start and her confidence along with her genuine caring is VERY assuring! I think she is young enough to be my daughter. Before med school, she was classically trained in ballet. I am quite sure she is an off the chart over-achiever. To say she inspires confidence would be a BIG understatement. Then, off to the "chemo cocktail" room. I think I was most nervous about "punching" through my newly installed port for the blood work and then the chemo drip. It was NOT too bad. They iced the area, and to than my friend Nancy Wojo for my next visit, I got a prescription for Lidocaine, which will make it MUCH easier next time. So, for the next three hours, the chemo FLOWED! One of my BFF (Penny Gardiner) was also with me, and we talked, laughed, played some scrabble (she LET me beat), etc. Yes, I wore my new UGGS (chemo boots)! I felt a bit flushed at times, but over-all - NO problem-o! I felt AWESOME after the session and still feel pretty "DARN" good. I may feel some nausea in the next few days, and then I will reach my "nadir" in about ten days, where my wbc (white blood count) will reach a VERY low threshold. This may cause some fatigue AND I cannot get SICK! I need to be a "nazi" about washing my hands and NOT being around anyone who has a sniffle of any kind. The chemo I am taking: Docetaxel (Taxotere), Traxtuzumab (Herceptin), Carboplatin (Paraplatin). If you rate these drugs from 1 to 10 (1 being mild), they are about in the middle. I WILL definately lose ALL of hair (in about one week). I am scheduled for 5 more sessions, to make a total of 6 sessions over 18 weeks. I will go in every 3 weeks. It's weird to say - but I feel REALLY good about having the chemo in my body. I have a couple of images, one is so goofy. Like Ms. Pacman, gobbling up all the "bad things" and the other one is (equally goofy), but the Knights of the Roundtable, conquering the chemo! The drugs must be already altering my thought process! I have NOT got the nerve to ask Dr. Barfe about medical marijuana, yet .... (just kidding!)
One of my other BFF, Janice gave me and some of our best girlfriends a candle to light. She suggested we light them on my chemo day, to unite against the evil cancer and my victory! Janice - I came home and lit my candle!! I shared the story with my Mom, and she lit a candle as well for me. My Mom and brother have some very strong prayers that they are sending to me. My Mom is very spiritual and has such an unshakeable belief in prayer. I LOVE her so much. She is a breast cancer survivor, and I remember being SO proud of her when I walked down the treatment and recovery road with her. I never in a million years, thought I would follow this same road. but seeing her courage is what I believe is helping me. Each ONE Of you, with your cards, books, flowers / SUNFLOWERS!, my new PINK pillow, photographs, sharing your day to day life with me, going to my doctor appointments with me, sharing your experiences/resources with me, teaching me how to breathe/meditate, living vicariously through your day/ski trips photos, sharing recipies, hat parties, comedy clubs - Most of all, just your quick emails and blogs to let me know what YOU are doing, means the world to me!
Right now at this moment in time, I feel GOOD and CONFIDENT that I will win this battle! I may have my head in the Curious George bucket tomorrow morning, with nausea - but that will be ok. That means the chemo is WORKING!
Goodnight, and LOVE LOVE LOVE you all!
Tuesday, February 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
GO THE DISTANCE JACKSON, your spirit, courage, sense of humor and attitude leaves me speechless! (Paula might have to relinquish her wonder woman title)! I'm lighting my favorite candle next to my bed and thinking about Ms Pacman working hard through the night! Thank you for your update! I can actually hear the arcade music running through my head!
ReplyDeletexxoo
Thanks for the update, Wen--love all of your imagery! Glad you are feeling so good and strong and hope you are still feeling that way this weekend and up to a visit! I don't think there is any way that this cancer can stand a chance against this determined "landlord!" Love you, Marisa
ReplyDeleteSo far so good!
ReplyDeleteWendy, I love the Ms. Pacman visual...but now I can't get that sound out of my head..."woka woka woka..."! Thomas had a Merlot candle burning when I got home last night! I am glad Penny is with you...and I am SO glad you ate that sub sandwich!!!
ReplyDeleteWe love you,
Ang
Wendy!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for keeping us updated. I'm so happy you are feeling upbeat and strong. I will be lighting a candle for you and thinking about the knights conquering away.
May the medicine do its magic.
May your soul remain strong, and may friends provide fun and fancy in the weeks ahead!
Love you! Kasia
Way to go Aunt Wen! hope you are feeling ok today, I think having all the information going into a scary situation is very helpful. knowing what to expect, I guess. I think one of your chemo drugs comes from a plant, Taxus, a Yew tree. I remember from my nursery days. a nice "cleansing" rain coming down today. the kids and I are going to go pick up the cats from the old house later, under the cover of darkness! Kiwi has expressed that she would like to dictate a memoire...the diary of Kiwi Baggins, or, Going Incognito. Are you a Tom Robbins fan? I have a book to send you, might throw one of his in there too. "fluff" reading, is always good when sick! I love you so much and you have and continue to be such a positive role model for me, and for lots of your friends too, it seems!
ReplyDeleteHey, what about a lady who has her husband go skiing with Penny's husband, Robert and Penny goes with her to the Pac Man encounter!!
ReplyDeleteSome women. We love her and we love her friends! Robert, Kevin, Mark, Jim and Shorty all send the love and support!
Great analogy, we love you.
Now its off to the hot tub!!
Love you!
Love the Pac Man image. It's got a sense of humor to it. Also the Knights are right. You're the damsel in distress and the Knights of the Round Table have come to your rescue.
ReplyDeleteHey, I too sent good vibes that day. I'll light a candle in your honor and keep you in my heart.
xoxo-s
The candles are lit (in glassybaby style!!) and the prayers are flowing for you! Congrats on a very successful and productive first week.
ReplyDeleteBig hugs to you Wen!
Love,
Karen
Valentine's Day--may a hint of that former "fighter" return. Here the day is gray, not stormy like yesterday. One of my students has gone behind bars temporarily so there's a valentine visit in the wings. I may break a long tradition since Christmas Eve and COOK GAME HENS.Happy hearts day, Wen. Love you much. XX Cin
ReplyDeleteHi Wendy-
ReplyDeleteAs usual I was running by your place today and I was more tired then usual. I wanted to stop and walk and I thought to myself stop being a baby, Look at how tough and postive Wendy is being right now. You encouraged me to keep on going. Thanks for that.
Sherrie and I ran the stairs on Terwilliger yesterday as a training for our big hike this summer and they kicked my butt literally.
I hope you don't get nausea. I know they have great anti-nausea drugs out now. They worked great for Matt.
Happy Valentines Day-Take Care
Thinking of you---Dawn
Hi Wendy,
ReplyDeleteI hope you had a relaxing day w/Dad and friends today! Thomas came to the pool with me today...I swam and he relaxed in the hot tub, so that was very nice. We went to the grocery store, which I love doing together, then had some yummy salmon and my version of your Greek salad...then I ate too much ice cream!
You are in my thoughts constantly,
We love you,
Ang