Wow! I am really the world's worst blogger! I think I took my time updating this, because I had so much to think about...
I had my 2nd opinion with the UW/Fred Hutchinson oncologist - about two weeks ago. I LOVE this new DOC and feel 1000% complete confidence in her (as I do with my Portland oncologist). She has a specific background with Her2Nu, and is actively involved in ongoing research in this area. She was totally confident that my tests have MORE than proved that I am Herc2NU negative. This is a relief. It means that I will NOT need to take the herceptin for one year. I have already discontinued it with my chemo treatments, but we were going to start it back up after my surgery, if we determined I was positive. This new oncologist will be available as a resource/back-up to my Portland team. It can never hurt to have another expert on the team!
So, I had set a goal to make a final decision regarding my operation after this appointment. My tumor has shrunk to the point, that I now have other options. I pretty much have LOTS of time to think about my options, and I have decided to stay the course with my original thought of having the bilateral mastectomy. It just feels like the right decision FOR ME. My surgery is scheduled for ...... June 22nd. It just seems SO real to write this date down. Yikes!
My LAST chemo treatment is scheduled for Monday, May 24th! WOW! In some ways the time has flown by, and in other ways, it has not. It seems like the whole new year of 2010 has pretty much been absorbed by my FIGHT against this cancer! I also realize this is just the first part of the journey. First chemo, then surgery. After surgery, a reassesment of treatment depending on the outcome of the labs. Next steps could include radiation, and then "reconstruction" (what a word!). Ongoing for 5 to 7 years, I will be on a prescription pill(s) for hormonal replacement, because of the type of cancer I have. Finally, THE most important part of the whole journey - to the ONGOING FIGHT to stay healthy and do all in my power to keep the cancer from returning in some other part of my body! That will be the BIGGEST mental part of this whole journey. Up to this point, there are actual THINGS to do (chemo, drugs, surgery). But once that is all over, it is somewhat like Las Vegas. Betting/praying on the odds for a LONG and healthy life!
Wayne and I are up in Washington at our cabin on Hood Canal! It is SO beautiful! I am trying very hard to walk daily! My chemo cocktail dose has been bumped up a bit, and is a little stronger. It does take about 10 days after my treatment before I start to feel more "normal". The first ten days pretty much finds me going for a walk, and then sleeping! Zoe and Circe have become glued to me through this! They are pretty much ready for a nap anytime. Wayne is my WHITE KNIGHT! I do not know what I would do without him. More than my DOCS, I feel he has the strength/belief to single handed pull me through this. I always try to meet him 1/2 way - but there are days I still want to just pull the covers over my head, and when I peak out - he is there for me.
THANK YOU to my friends and family for your ONGOING support and holding me up through this. I am still humbled by the outpouring of love, support and prayers. I LOVE your emails, calls, and joining me for walks, coffee - keeping me up with what is going on in your life and the "world" outside of my life! Hope you are all enjoying SPRING! I will work on planting my sweetpeas and sunflowers today! Hugs and LOVE to all of you!
Thursday, May 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Great to see you feeling up to blogging again Wen! Thanks for the full report on everything--big decision for you and I'm sure you have spent many hours thinking about it. It seems like you feel good about it and we look forward to supporting you 100+%! Enjoy your time in the sun! Even if you're sleeping in it!! That doesn't sound too bad.... Can't wait to see you. XX Marisa & Brad
ReplyDeleteMarisa! YOU are my loyal blog follower! I do plan on coming to Seattle tomorrow evening! Can't wait to see you, too! xxoo
ReplyDeleteWendett, Hooray! You sound so positive and strong. I know what a decision process this was for you and made with all the due diligence required for the right direction. Floyd and I are here to continue support to both you and Wayne. We love ya, and know I'm available for any 'show and tell' aspects for the next procedures. Hugs Mary Jo
ReplyDeleteThank you for the post!!! Troy and I are sending our love! Stay strong Wendy! Miss you!
ReplyDeleteB-Britty
Well...you have booked a date. You can see the light at the end of the tunnel...the bloom embedded in a bud! This is all so very positive.
ReplyDeleteI'm rooting for you. I think you've made a very wise decision to replace the boobies. You're my inspiration.
Enjoy your halcyon days at the canal.
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo and more! -s