Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Last Chemo before surgery!

May 24th - my LAST chemo before surgery! What a wonderful feeling to have that behind me!! Looking back, time seemed to both go fast AND drag by. Each session was getting harder, because the effects were cumulative. But, YEAH - no more chemo!!

My bilateral surgery is scheduled for June 22nd. I really feel like I am in a time warp, sometimes that seems so far away, then I wake up in the middle of the night with angst that it is sooooo close. I have very mixed feelings - so want to get it over with, but certainly a little more than scared!!

The other news, that I am still "digesting" and almost mourning - Dr. Barfe, my oncologist is moving to Denver. I am SO sad about this. She has become a very special person to me both as my oncologist, coach, and friend. I will spend the next five years with my oncologist, and they are in my opinion the most important person on my team. I am confident I will find a new oncologist that will be perfect - but I do miss that after being in the trenches with Dr. Barfe for the past six months, that I will LOSE her. Then I think, if this is the worst thing that happens, that it will be ok!!!

The GREAT news, Wayne and I are leaving tomorrow for a quick, impromptu trip to Honolulu! We got married at the Royal Hawaiian (a beautiful historic hotel that sits in the middle of Waikiki) 21 years ago. We will stay there and swim in the ocean, drink Mai Tai's and lay in the SUN!!!!

Aloha and Mahalo to all of you! Much love and will update my blog after my surgery.

6 comments:

  1. Wendy - Congratulations on having that part of this journey done. I know you are sad that Dr. Barfy is moving but think of her as a freelancer; she would never refer you to anyone who is not as good. Have fun in Hawaii. I am so jealous! Drink a Mai Tai at Duke's for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Paula! So wish you could BEAM yourself (and Burke!) over to join us for a MaiTai! I MAY take a SUP board lesson! Or, I may just drink! Aloha, MISS YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wendy,
    I am SO HAPPY you and my dad took this trip to Honolulu...you both deserve it!!! Relax, and ENJOY!!!
    I can't tell you not to worry about surgery, because I know you will anyway...I will say, I am not worried...you will be in excellent hands and after the surgery, you will still be the Wendy we laugh with and love!
    Bring your mind, body and soul together and know that whoever your oncologist is and whatever comes your way..YOU WILL BEAT THIS CANCER!
    We love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wen,
    Nothing like the solar storms of Hawaii to boost the immune system and place the fears back into a manageable state. Love you so very much. XXXXXC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wen! Someday the 4 of us (you, me, Wayne and Burk) need to go together. I can't think of anything more fun! We can watch the turtles while they ride their bikes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PW - this cracks me up - it sounds like we are going to watch the turtles ride bikes?!
    I am going to visualize this whenever I feel angst/scared before surgery! We did see lots of turtles in Honolulu!

    ReplyDelete