Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Update #3

It is a BEAUTIFUL Wednesday morning, in the city of roses! We woke up to sunshine, Mt. Hood glowing in the distance, our front lawn filled with maybe 100 geese eating their (bugs!) for breakfast, runners on the path along the river!

I had my "port installed" last night. I was scheduled for a 6:00pm surgery, but it was pushed back due to earlier emergencies. I fasted all day, which was not a problem, because I think I was too nervous to eat. This is only the third time in my life, I have been sedated. It was a quiet night, so I got lots of TLC! And, thanks to the port, this will be the last time they need to search for a vein for IV's, blood tests, etc. I felt like an "extra" in Grey's Anatomy. I was "awake" in the OR room for awhile, which was a BIT unnerving. Ellie (my nurse navigator, and one of my NEW bff), came and hung out with Wayne and me for awhile while we waited. Plus we had some face time with the incredible Dr. Johnson before surgery. I think it was also a good thing for me, because this was like a dry run for when I have my surgery this June. I can visualize everything and know what to expect. We got home around 10:00pm. Wayne set up "Lost" to record, so I had that to look forward to! I came home with a prescription for pain pills, and it has been a bit painful.

Other news, we have been waiting, waiting, waiting to see if my cancer is positive or negative for her-2-nu. In Wendy terms, this refers to the genetic of the cancer cell and it's propensity to multiply. 98% of the world is very clear cut positive or negative. Well, my results are equalivent. They will send out my cells for another test, but I think the plan will be to treat me like it is positive. We of course would have liked this to be negative, but the good news - there is a very successful treatment for this - called herception. This will become part of my chemo process - it is not a chemo drug, but another powerful drug which is very effective. I will have this treatment for one year. This is where I saw hallalejuah about the port! I will also undergo another battery of tests because of this treatment. I will get a full work-up on my heart! Wow - I am going to be the $6Million lady very soon!

Other updates, I finally found the right time/place to share my cancer news with my Mom. She is a breast cancer survivor. She was diagnosed when she was 72 years old, and will celebrate her 80th birthday this year and is cancer free. Her Mom (my Grandma) passed away because of complications due to breast cancer. I knew my diagnosis would be very unsettling for her. My brother was with her when I shared the news. Over-all she took the news pretty well. She knows she survived, and she has a very strong faith and believes in the power of prayer. It somehow becomes even more real to me, having shared this with my Mom - but in a good way.

So, we have many fun, normal things going on in our life. We helped my niece and family move to a new home in McMinnville. Exciting news for them. A roomier home, each of their babies will have their own bedroom, and a great kitchen (both Brie and Jerome are awesome cooks). So many of our friends are sharing resources and references. Janice and Mark brought dinner over, Nancy Wojo has shared a wealth of books and her amazing diet plans (Nancy - we had your smoothie! for breakfast today), Kathy and Russ have shared so many stories and photos which are so inspirational, flowers, cards, the list goes on and on. Angie is my rock in all of this. Sharon is coming over this week to teach me her "breathing" exercises. Penny is packing her bags to come spend next week with me (wig shopping, my chemo pal, etc).And at the end of the day, Wayne is THE MAN! While waiting last night, I peaked in the notebook Dr. Johnson has put together. She had in BIG LETTERS, Wendy has the love and support of her husband - Wayne! My girlfriend, Danna (a breast cancer survivor), said the #1 thing you have - is the love, support and belief Wayne has in you! I AM a lucky woman!

Please share what is going on in your life! I love hearing just your every day stories

6 comments:

  1. Wendy,
    You are already a survivor in so many ways...one that stands out is your "presto-chango" attitude about hospitals and all they contain. Needle schmeedle! You are so strong and your continued positive attitude is amazing!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your voice.

    Looking forward to seeing you.

    xoxo-s

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wnedy, I love the thoughtful way in which you go about everything you do. I'm so glad you had that conversation with your mom, that it went as well as you could hope, and now you have the power of her faith and prayer, as well. Thanks for sharing and keeping us all in the loop. We look forward to seeing you. XXX
    Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendela

    Glad to hear everything went well yesterday. I was thinking of you all day. OOh! You should try Zappos for Ughs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy, I just found out today about your diagnosis. And from one Leo to another.. your totally going to kick cancer butt! It's in the stars sister! xoxo! thinking of you always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for your comments and Jenn - thank you for joining my blog! You are right about us LEO's - we are fighters and we are NOT used to losing any fight!! Thanks for your words of encouragement!

    ReplyDelete